Post grafting advice needed

beachwreck(7b)May 10, 2012

Last year I discovered a pear growing on an old homestead that I really liked so I tried my hand at grafting for the first time. I used OHxF87 rootstock.

I must confess the process was more difficult than I had imagined. When I was finished, I wasn't sure if I would be successful. To my utter amazement and delight 4 of 4 grafts are growing.

Now the rootsock each have several small branches growing as well as 2 or 3 on the grafted portion.

My question is:

When do I pinch back the rootstock growth? Then when do I prune to a central leader for the grafted section?

I want the rootsock to have plenty of energy and I want the grafted portion to grow as fast as possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated by this novice grafter.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marknmt

If you're confident that the grafts were indeed successful you can cut off the growth below the grafts right away. The tree should respond by growing the scion vigorously.

Usually works well to pinch back all but one shoot off of the scion (keep the one that's pointed best) to form the central leader.

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 8:04PM
beachwreck(7b)

Thanks marknmt. I'll trim them this weekend.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 10:28AM
Edymnion(7a)

Yeah, long as you're sure, take the shoots off the rootstock immediately.

The biggest threat at the moment will be that the roots try to put out new growth to circumvent the grafted section. You want to force the scion to use the new roots, and force the roots to use the new scion. If either of them managed to get around that, you'll have a failure.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 11:32AM
More Discussions
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™