Permethrin on apples

osagebowMay 21, 2013

Hi all, new guy here from VA. I have scads of various moth larvae "loopers' (not tent worms) on my 10 year old apple tree. I would like to use something non-toxic to my kids. Directions on permethrin says not to use after petal fall. Why is this? Can it be incorporated into a young fruit and stay until harvest? Or does it affect fruit maturation?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to talking to y'all.
John, AKA osagebow

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
austransplant(MD 7)

Hi John,

This is an issue that has been debated before on Garden Web, and to my knowledge no one has provided an official answer. Permethrin is permitted after petal fall on pears and on peaches and on a wide range of vegetables, so the prohibition on post-petal-fall application to apples surely is not based on the dangers of eating sprayed fruit. The most likely reason I've seen mentioned is that permethrin can lead to mite flare ups, since it kills beneficial predators. Whatever the reason, it seems that it has to be specific in some way to apples.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 1:24PM
ltilton

austransplant - I've heard that mite theory, too. It seems to be the only explanation.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 2:08PM
osagebow

Hmmm.....never had a mite flareup. I'm glad it isn't a problem with fruit development or safety of the crop then. I'm looking at a one-time application. The tree is a summer rambo with gold and red delicious graft branches for pollination, by the way. Have a few more trees and grafts 1~3 years old.
Will post results .
Thanks!

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 7:56PM
osagebow

Thanks Austransplant and Itilton!
Permethin did the trick on the caterpillars, Surrounding woods has plenty of fat ones, though. Have a few codling moth damaged fruit I am removing, and a nice even june drop helping me thin, also. Should be posting some nice harvest pics next month. Also successfully added a goldrush scion,to that tree, but the Albermarle pippin graft hasn't taken yet. I have new whips of both those varieties going, and added one of them ( son removed labels, don't know which lived lol...)to a 3 year old johnathan. .

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 5:20PM
More Discussions
Suburban backyard "orchard" (Z6 SE NY)
Hello all. I have a new to me house and yard (Zone...
cottage_cheese_z6ny
Questions on American Plum, Chickasaw Plum, & Beach Plum
Hi, I have limited space and will definitely be planting...
njbiology
Where to buy Titan, Vernon, and Ochlockonee Blueberry plants?
I live in East Texas between DFW and Texarkana off...
sidpost
Luisa plum
Hey guys I just ordered a luisa plum for next season...
plumstupid
Gophers killing apple trees... Help!
Gophers have killed 2 roses and one prized apple tree...
peteramu
Sponsored Products
G-17 AirPlay Speakers
$529.00 | FRONTGATE
Area Rug: Medici Apple Butter Pearl 8' Square
Home Depot
Apple Green 21.5-Inch Jar Table Lamp
$149.95 | Bellacor
- Signal Desk Lamp - SI333 - Apple Green - Jielde
$315.00 | HORNE
Apple Green Spun Bamboo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus