Does Carrie Mango need cross pollination?

kquat(09)May 17, 2009

I have a Carrie mango (mangifera indica). It had lots of flowers but I get only 2 fruits. Teachers and friends: please help me, tell me if it needs cross pollination and by what? Thank you a lot. Kim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rockmaker(z9 AZ)

Carrie can be a poor producer. I doubt that a pollenizer would help, but it couldn't hurt to graft another variety on to the tree. I had a Nam Doc Mai mango planted 8 feet away from my Carrie and the Nam Doc Mai fruited heavily. I never got a single fruit from the Carrie in 10 years. Some years they got to be the size of ping pong balls before they fell off. The Nam Doc Mai would sometimes fruit so heavily that I had to thin the fruit!

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 6:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
puglvr1(9b central FL)

The answer is no! Mango trees don't need cross pollination. That being said, I've seen bees, flies and other insects pollinating my flowers. Mine are still very young, and the freeze we had in Jan killed all my blooms...almost killed my trees too. Except my container Glenn, I have a few tiny(pea) size fruits on that one.

How old is your Carrie and do you grow it in a Container or in ground? Sometimes age has a lot to do with how many fruits they have. The older/mature it gets, the more fruits you should start getting.

Here's a few info on Carrie Mango...according to this website

Here is a link that might be useful: Carrie Mango

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 8:10PM
More Discussions
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™