Natchez Blackberry Wilting and Sad

Buckeye85May 11, 2013

I posted on the container forum, but it was recommended that I might get better information here.

I have a Natchez blackberry that was a sad stick last summer when I bought it, but it has turned into a sprawling, vital monster and made three babies, too. I up-potted it into a 20 gallon smart pot from its previous 3 gallon plastic pot (both were Al's 5-1-1) and trellised it.

Less than 24 hours after this, it's incredibly droopy and wilty looking, and this has not improved in the last couple of days. I did notice belatedly that the spot I built the trellis in is not as sunny as I'd like, but my husband suggested it's because the plant is not used to having to get water/nutrients "up" rather than "across."

I have no idea because I am not used to berry/trellised plants at all. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ABz5b

Transplant shock is what it sounds like. Make sure you keep it watered well and wait for the shock to subside.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 12:38PM
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

You transplant only when dormant when first go dormant best time in ground better blackberry plants are heavy feeder in pot heavy feeder plants don't grow as good not ample root contact.
A floricane plant impossible to transplant they die after fruit harvest that we see it starts before we see signs.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 1:37PM
Buckeye85

How long does shock usually take to dissipate? It's still pretty pathetic looking, unfortunately. I knew it was a bad idea...if it croaks, I still have three gigantic babies, at least, that can be transplanted when it gets cold again.

It was growing really well in its pot - 5-1-1; it's huge and has thick, leafy canes...unfortunately I have no way of planting it in ground since we're apartment dwellers.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 7:04PM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Shock is just one of those unknowns.....you take two plants and move the.....one never wilts and takes off and the other croaks......you just never know. All you can do is keep it moist and shade might help.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 8:06PM
More Discussions
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™