Santa Rosa Plum tree, dropped most of blossoms/fruit

scuzzynuttyMay 2, 2013

I have a Santa Rosa plum tree in my front yard that blossomed like crazy last month, Easily over 200 nice white blossoms. Of those, I'd say 50 or more started developing into some fruit, and of those 50 or so, many of them are turning yellow color and dropping off. I think there are only about 10 left that might actually develop into a full fruit.

Is that normal? What is a normal crop on this kind of tree? 10 seems like too few. I don't know...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scuzzynutty

One more photo here...this picture you can see the yellow colored one near the top right half...i just touch those and they fall to the ground...

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 12:29PM
rayrose(8)

Although Santa Rosa is supposed to be self pollinating, you'll get much better fruit set, if you have another variety that blooms at the same time.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 5:39PM
fruithack

Scuzzy- Did you get a late frost? Santa Rosa, and Mariposa were more susceptible to late frosts than sweet cherries for me, so I removed them.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 12:37AM
scuzzynutty

Thanks for the replies.

No frost, I live in Southern California. There might have been frost ONE morning, but that's it. It blossoms really well, like i said probably more than 200 blossoms. Just don't know why all the fruit is falling off, there's probably 10 left of the 50. Most of them turned yellow and fell off...

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 5:23PM
scuzzynutty

Any one else have any further feedback on why most of the fruit have fallen off and turned yellow? Thanks for any help...

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 6:25PM
MrClint

Not a whole lot to go on. Most likely a pollination issue, but could also be lack of -or too much water and/or fertilizer. How old is the tree? Did you see much bee activity when in bloom? Can you attach a full picture of the tree?

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 8:10PM
itheweatherman

I have one too, (I live in SoCal) I am having the same problem.

The reason is that they didn't get pollinated. They need a pollinator: Satsuma, Mariposa, or a Prunus vesuvious cherry-plum, these trees pollinate my Santa Rosa.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 2:13AM
fireduck(10a)

S...my trees in SoCal flowered...set much fruit....dropped much fruit. I have grown these plums and others for many years. I can assure you this is a weather related problem, not pollination. We had a cold late Winter/Spring.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 9:46AM
MrClint

There's too much data on Why Do Plum Trees Drop Plums & Never Develop? to dismiss pollination as a possibility. A "weather related problem" in and of itself is tied directly to poor pollination - as it impacts pollinators greatly.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 8:07PM
treehugger2012

I have one which dropped most of its flowers and I blaming the frost. The remaining 15 fruits are big and healthy . My job starts now to protect the 15 fruits from the OFM. In mid-Atlantic states it is a big problem.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 8:55PM
More Discussions
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™