blueberry bushes

outoftheblueMay 8, 2013

hi there,
question about blueberry bushes. i just planted two of them, and in the research i did it says to just pull the flowers off the first year. The problem is, i don't know how old the plants are. One of them is about a foot tall, seems full of leaves and stuff and has budding white flowers, the other is about4-5 inches tall, full of leaves, some small tiny flowers. Can a blueberry plant grow that much in less than a year from a seedling? the reason i want to know the difference is that i'm told you can get blueberris in the second year (which wouuld be nice if i got them this year) and i would stop picking off the flowers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

The references are about the first year after planting not the age of the plant. During that first year the plant needs most of it's energy to build new roots. So it's best to remove most if not all the fruit. You can leave a few to taste but very few. Even a foot tall is very small to be fruiting.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 1:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TheDerek

I would take all the flowers off the first year, irregardless of how old the plant is. It takes time to become established and get a good root system going. If you leave them, they may grow, or may end up aborting, but will slow down the vegetative growth of the plant. You will be ahead in the long run if you just buy berries in the store this year...

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 1:04PM
More Discussions
Repotting avos
I would like to know when to repot my avocado trees...
chez54
hard freeze coming & peach trees are blooming!
any tricks for saving the fruit?? this happened last...
rober49
Plum tree
My plum tree has new growth. I remember a couple of...
tim45z10
How to kill raccoons?
Last year I started a thread about the coons eating...
allenwrench
Apricots, Hunza and Manchurian blossom and flowering.
Hi, I live in Oslo, Norway, which is around a 5b or...
roots_feeding
Sponsored Products
Sleep Sync Blueberry 7-inch Twin-size Memory Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
Bar Harbor Blueberry Crush Rug (3' x 5')
Overstock.com
Findley Urn Filler
$279.00 | FRONTGATE
Ulrike Blue 18 x 18 Geometric Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Flax Pendant - Natural - David Trubridge
$1,140.00 | HORNE
Lawn Light Outdoor Deck Mount Fixture
Lightology
BlissLights Outdoor Lighting. 16 in. Blue Laser Landscape Projector/Firefly Land
Home Depot
Mason Jar Glass Beverage Dispenser with Chalkboard
Classic Hostess
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™