Meader persimmon died back 2 winters in a row, why?

Nick_B79(4/5 Southeast MN)May 19, 2012

I planted a bareroot Meader persimmon 3 years ago from Burnt Ridge Nursery. That summer, it grew very well, going from 1.5 ft to 3 ft in one season. The next spring, it had died back to 6" above-ground. It resprouted and sent up another 2 ft of new growth before winter. This spring, it's dead to ground level, and resprouting from BELOW the graft (grrrr).

Our MN winters haven't been cold enough to kill it off; it hasn't gone below -20F here either winter (thank you global warming) and Meader persimmons are supposed to be hardy to -25F to -30F. I know there are other GW members in MN that are growing them successfully.

My only thought is that it is downhill from our chicken coop, so it might be getting excess nitrogen running off from the chicken run and not hardening off sufficiently before winter sets in. Does this make sense? If so, I might try another persimmon next year in a different location that isn't so fertile. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skyjs(z8 OR, USA)

I don't have Meader, but if you look back a couple of days, you'll see I also posted about branch loss. On some of my very young ones, there was no branch loss, on others, there is quite a bit. I don't know.
John S
PDX OR

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 1:45PM
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

Nick,

If you decided to plant different varieties I would pick John Gordon top picks for the cold hardy and short seasons in Buffalo NY, poss the same or close to the weather where you are: NC-10, Yates, Prok, Geneva Long and Geneva Red.

Tony

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 2:16PM
denninmi(8a)

Possible. Another thing I've found, if they are moisture stressed at all as young plants during the summer, winter loss seems almost guaranteed.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 2:50PM
More Discussions
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Last year I had no nectarines
What have I done right with this tree to give me so...
mrronny
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
Toxic Waste:
I have been told by a Nursery friend of mine not to...
loneranger_grow
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™