Strawberry bed protection

andyinnycMay 23, 2013

I have a pair of strawberry beds located outside the fenced garden. They are doing really well considering that we haven't seen the sun (it seems) in weeks.

However, as the berries start to ripen, and even as the plants get more 'tasty', I'll need to protect them from deer, chipmunks, squirrels, rabbits and mice.

Last year I covered both beds with Agri-Bond row covers. The benefit is that these provide a complete blanket to keep the squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits and birds out. The downside is that they filter a lot of light that could go towards ripening the berries.

Choice two is to go with bird netting. This has the downside of potentially allowing the little #%*#!!% to chew through the netting (as the chipmunks do with my blueberries), wiggle through if they are small enough or eat what they can reach by landing on top or stepping near. Another issue is that I have had small animals become tangled in the past which is a bother to them and me.

Next year I'd like to get a mesh box built with hinged covers. Even then I'd need to decide on a hole size which could allow the bees in but keep out the mice, etc.

Thoughts? The kids are looking forward to ripe, unmolested berries.

Andrew

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
copperfox(5b)

Your beds look great. Have you tried laying down a repellant around the beds like Plantskydd Deer Repellant? I live out in the sticks and we have deer galore. I use it on my things (and I have quite a variety) and so far so good. It is supposed to be effective if allowed to dry around 5 hours before a rain and stay working for a long while. It repells smaller varmits as well.

Good Luck!

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 2:47PM
bart1(6/7 Northern VA)

How about chicken wire?

With the support pipes you have, you could take care of the entire bed in minutes.

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 4:46PM
andyinnyc

Well, I guess chicken wire is a stronger form of bird netting. It does rust, cut little kids, doesn't bend to get out of the way for picking, etc.

Does the chicken wire typically have holes small enough to keep chipmunks out?

Where's a good place that I might have locally to find chicken wire? The beds are 14 x 4.

Andrew

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 5:11PM
andyinnyc

It also seems that chicken wire doesn't run in wide enough lengths to go over everything and be anchored to the ground.

Are there wider than 48" widths available?

Andrew

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 5:43PM
ltilton

Try nylon net or tulle. They let in almost 100% light and you could cover your bed in 60 seconds with that piping in place.

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 12:17PM
steve333_gw(5a)

You can get/order chicken wire in various opening sizes, down to 1/2", which should be small enough to keep most rodents and out. Same for widths of the roll; I believe 5 and 6' are available.

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 7:51PM
More Discussions
Table Grapes for the Southeast
It seems that most of my table grapes have not survived...
trianglejohn
newly planted blueberries turning red
I planted 15 blueberries, 8 biloxi and 7 star. 10 of...
tugagardener
Where to buy Titan, Vernon, and Ochlockonee Blueberry plants?
I live in East Texas between DFW and Texarkana off...
sidpost
Repotting avos
I would like to know when to repot my avocado trees...
chez54
stark bros apricot with pits that taste like almonds
Does anyone have experience with this apricot variety? http://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apricot-trees/stark-sweetheart-apricot It...
Edwin Turlington
Sponsored Products
Medium Classic Twill Bolster Bed - Blue/Khaki Piping Dog Bed
$129.50 | FRONTGATE
Emerald Home Brighton Black Counter Height Chairs - Set of 2 - EMER569
$279.99 | Hayneedle
Splendorest ProTech Allergen Barrier Jumbo Bed Pillow (Pack of 2)
Overstock.com
Purple & Ivory Falling Leaves Microfiber Sheet Set
$17.99 | zulily
Harrison Queen Bed Frame in Black
$599.00 | LexMod
Finlay Green 18 x 18 Stripes Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™