Help with bug ID please

milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)May 24, 2014

I posted this in the RM forum but so far no help.

I have had issues with my asparagus. I dug around the soil and found "worms". I don't think they are wireworms, but I can't figure out what they are.

The first picture is of what looks like pupa to me. They are about the size of a grain of rice.

These pictures are of the worms next to a tape measure, which you can hardly see.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

I would like to see a larger version of the first image but can't because photobucket needs a password.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 3:02PM
larry_gene

Do you ever see asparagus beetles in your plants? Are all parts of the plant being eaten?

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 10:57PM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

I have never seen asparagus beetles about. I have found these worms in every part of my yard and they are in abundance so I am thinking now maybe it's not these that have caused my asparagus' demise. I just want to be sure. Today was CRAZY weather! Rain, hail, tornado warning, rain, tornado warning, rain, rain. I didn't get out to take better pictures today, maybe tomorrow.

I have been looking at images of root eating larvae for too long, and too late at night. I'll probably have nightmares now.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 2:12AM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

Bugdoctor helped me out. They are apparently millipedes. I've never seen so many before but I guess it's just because of all the rain we've had. At least I feel more comfortable replanting my asparagus bed now. I've never seen these use any of there "pedes", but they did look like a long, skinny version of a pill bug.

Apparently the pupae in the photo are not related to the presence of the millipedes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Millipedes, Centipedes and Sowbugs

This post was edited by milehighgirl on Sun, May 25, 14 at 19:52

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 2:29PM
More Discussions
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™