Easy stepping stone form?

proudgm_03(6 MO)October 14, 2007

What's the easiest thing to use for a stepping stone form? I'm not particular about the shape although I would like something at least 12". I would like to buy something cheap to use and not have to make one (unless it's cheap and ultra easy). I've never tried this before and don't want to waste a lot of money. Do you have to have multiple forms because you have to make a batch of hypertufa at a time?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marcia7439

Meat trays, deli tray covers, and old baking pans work nice. Old Tupperware... Even old Jello molds
Nice thing about Deli ray covers...you get to eat what came in them!
And you only mix amounts you need. Although it's always best to have something for a backup, incase you have left over mix.

Marcia

Bookmark   October 14, 2007 at 11:28AM
garden_chicken(3b)

My MIL used those plastic trays that frozen pizzas sometimes come in. They were about 12-13" in diameter and about 2" deep. She reinforced the stepping stones with a circle of chicken wire. The textured base of the pizza trays make a nice finished surface. Cheap & reusable.

Bookmark   October 14, 2007 at 11:32AM
billie_ann(6b PA)

Cheapest, cardboard box lined with a plastic bag!
If these are for your yard, just cut a shape out of the ground and pour in place. Billie

Bookmark   October 14, 2007 at 6:55PM
Audacitie(WI)

You might like to try Goodwill or one of those type places. I usually have good luck coming up with some very cheap plastic trays & forms.

Aud

Bookmark   October 14, 2007 at 10:27PM
elephantear(Iowa)

prodgm, you have been giving several good cheap ideas here. Another one I have used is to have my DH cut an old plastic bucket into 3" circles, you can lay these on plastic and fill as deep as you want, or for slightly smaller stones, use round plastic ice-cream containers.
We usually do the 'in ground' method, by using just the leaf, although if the leaf is large this can be back breaking (at least for seniors) as we usually mix by hand in a bucket and do a couple of layers for each big leaf, needless to say we usually only make 2 stones at a session. Also we use a cement mix, not a hypertufa mix. Wendy

Bookmark   October 15, 2007 at 9:48AM
proudgm_03(6 MO)

Thank you all for your help.

Bookmark   October 15, 2007 at 11:15PM
More Discussions
cement gianna leaf for sale
I have reading all about how you make these cement...
twooofeathers
Advice needed - trying for a smooth finish w/concrete (PIC)
I'm making a mini modern indoor/outdoor fireplace out...
concreteblue
Response to 'Faux Bois Tools'...
You can use just about anything (and everything) you...
tango88
hypertufa millstones
These are three hypertufa millstones made about 6 weeks...
dougy2040
Newbie: Color and Stamp fresh concrete - products & steps pls
Hi All, This is my 1st post - if in wrong forum, pls...
stylin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™