no peaches and brown rot

brookw_gwMay 5, 2014

The winter completely wiped out all peach buds this year. That said, will that be a blessing for the outbreak of brown rot I experienced last year or is the disease here to stay? I diligently removed and hauled away every infected peach and mummy I found, but I fear it may have gotten into the wood in a few places.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

One of the problems with peaches is you have to spray for brown rot, if you're not willing to, you may not always get a crop, or only partial crops.
The disease will not just go away. If you had it, expect it again. Spray and you can control it.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 5:55PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

We inherited a peach, and just encountered brown rot. I did rescue enough peaches for a fresh peach pie, but next year we will spray! Definitely. So much to learn when you purchase property with existing trees and no clue how to manage them.

Suzi

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 9:02PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Brookw, brown rot also infects the shoot tips. So I am sure you still have a decent level in your orchard. I expect you will start off with less than past years, but if you have some good circumstances for growth you could get a bad bloom of it this coming year. Brown rot is something not to get behind on with control.

Scott

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 9:33PM
brookw_gw

I have always sprayed but primarily with Immunox, which I discovered isn't effective on brown rot. I have Monterey Fungi Fighter for the brown rot, which is applied much later in the season. I assume I need to spray it regularly then regardless of having no crop. I've been fortunate not to have had it till last year but have heard it's nasty.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 10:29PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

MFF seems about the best approach for the home owner. Other fungicides can help too. But yeah all you said is right.
I have no crop this year due to cold, all sprays are staying though! Not letting anything get a foot hold.I currently am using three fungicides. For early season I use chlorothalonil (Fung-Onil - Monterey makes a version too, this is Bonide). for peach leaf curl, but also attacks brown rot. Captan for scab, shothole, and brown rot. Then MFF. So three different fungicides for different reasons but all help for brown rot. Although they are not effective on all stages of brown rot, but that is just a bonus. PLC, scab, and shothole are really what I use the first two listed. I really need the Captan for botrytis rot on strawberries, and so while out, use it on peaches. I have not had a problem with scab, so is just preventative.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 11:09PM
More Discussions
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
Last year I had no nectarines
What have I done right with this tree to give me so...
mrronny
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™