growing table grapes to trellis - vigor question

johndoug(z6 Philly)May 11, 2013

hi,

i built a trellis with posts 8 or 10 feet apart. i built a "T" type, where there are two wires about 30 inches apart. i planted one grape plant in between posts. i've pruned my vines to just have 2 vertical trunks. my uneducated plan is to prune one trunk to go both left and right on 1 wire, and prune the 2nd trunk to go both left and right on the other wire. would this be too much spreading out to give enough energy for the grapes? or maybe make things too crowded? instead of splitting both trunks in both left and right directions, should i just have one trunk to right, and the other go left? if so, which wire should i do? one trunk to one wire, and one to the other? the vines are getting to the size where i'll need to start directing them along the wires. hopefully you follow what i'm asking. many thanks for your help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

It doesn't really matter, one trunk or two, right or left. All that really matters is pruning properly and spreading the leaves out to intercept as much light as possible.

I like your T trellis idea. What I'd do differently is have a third wire down the center. I'd put both canes on that wire one running each direction or both running each way. It's alright to have two canes on one wire. Then the outside wires would be to support the new canes growing out each way. This helps some to avoid wind damage to new shoots.

But your plan is just as good.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 3:38PM
More Discussions
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™