If you feel like experimenting...

Running_Dog(Ireland)November 20, 2005

A few years ago I needed to make masters for stone pavers, and wanted them to look really old and worn. I made a plaster mould, oiled it lightly, then made a thick mix of ordinary flour (it may have been self-raising, can't remember!) and water, painted it very thickly into the mould on top of the oil. Allowed it to dry before pouring in plaster. The flour reacted with the plaster, giving a very pitted surface to the final cast, which looked convincingly old.

The main point I wanted to make is that the plaster casts went VERY mouldy VERY fast - which could be useful for starting off the greening process, getting a mossy look fast.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tango88(z8TX)

Running Dog --- Thanks for the keen observation. Anything that contains an "active culture" is great for kick-starting growth on new surfaces. And while I'm accustomed to using yougurt, beer and even spiking the mix with a little peat moss, I'd never thought of using dough! You are absolutely right...the yeast culture in the flour should get mold going VERY quickly. Gotta' wonder what a little Blue Cheese might do? Thanks again and "top-o-the-morning" to the beautiful Emerald Isle.

Bookmark   November 20, 2005 at 9:01AM
More Discussions
My hypertufa elephant planters and other projects
I used to work with plaster before I discovered hypertufa...
naturia
Why does hypertufa crack?
I've been making hypertufa pots and other objects for...
monomer
leaf imprints
Gardenerboy, Leaf imprints are easy. I like plasticware...
billie_ann
faux rocks
how to make....
Kathy Meyer Smyth
Sand or no sand
This is one part of the various recipes that always...
ctquilter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™