Silicone baking pans

nmgirl(8 S.NM)November 8, 2005

Hey Crew!

Just had to post this! I received a set of those new sillycone baking pans as a gift, gave them a try and wasn't too pleased with them so the things have been hanging around my pantry getting in the way. Problem is I had a good case of "but they were a gift and I can't throw them away yet", so I'd move them and move them and....you know.

Well I was finishing up a stepping stone project and had some mix left over. Then an idea! I'll slap this stuff in those baking pans and if it works I'll have some small stones and if not I can finally throw the pans away! Guess what? It works! They unmold beautifully, like peeling a banana.

I plopped some leaves in the pans before dropping in the stone mix and they left a nice impression. They're quite nice.

Just passing along info.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Blooming_Stone(z6b NS Cnd)

I saw those - but they were $18.00 for a set that included the one I wanted - the 9x9 cake pan. Maybe it's time to spring for them.
Mercedes

Bookmark   November 8, 2005 at 10:04AM
wannadanc(z8 WA)

They are pricey - but as you have discovered, silicone is a wonderful mold material ........... maybe we will find them cheaper at TS or garage sales.

I had bought a box of them at Costco - intending as a holiday gift - but maybe I need to "gift them" to myself!

grins

Vicki

Bookmark   November 8, 2005 at 11:58PM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

That's interesting. I haven't got any of these, but I'm keeping my eyes open for mold ideas. Has anyone ever used glass?

Bookmark   November 9, 2005 at 2:08PM
nmgirl(8 S.NM)

I asked my giftgiver and apparently the pans were found at a Tuesday Morning store. I've seen sillycone pans in clearance stores, bed and bath places-hang on to those coupons. They'll probably start surfacing in thrift stores before too long.

Bookmark   November 15, 2005 at 4:02AM
Belgianpup(Wa/Zone 7b)

Yes, you can use glass, since it doesn't react with concrete for short-term usage.

Just make sure the outer edge is slightly larger than the innner edge, and that you use a mold release that doesn't separate.

Sue

Bookmark   November 30, 2005 at 2:29PM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

Just make sure the outer edge is slightly larger than the innner edge

Oh yes, I've been there. Tried the outer edge slightly smaller than the inner edge trick. That didn't work :(

Bookmark   November 30, 2005 at 2:59PM
Mike Larkin

Just curious are these teflon coated pans! Or are they advertized as "sillycone" baking pans ?

Bookmark   December 1, 2005 at 8:37AM
nmgirl(8 S.NM)

Hi Plantman,
No they're not Teflon coated, although that might work. Anyone ever tried it?
My pans are "silicone", they're thin, flexible baking pans. They aren't cheap but if you like the shape and take care of the things they should last until you're sick of them. Maybe Santa will bring you some. *<:o>

Bookmark   December 4, 2005 at 7:26AM
nmgirl(8 S.NM)

If you're interested in trying these pans and if there's a Garden Ridge store in your neighborhood, you might want to give it a visit. My G.R. store has some sillycone baking pans in various shapes and sizes on sale. Prices range from $.99-$4.00.

Bookmark   December 20, 2005 at 6:39AM
More Discussions
can you tell the difference?
Some rock, some hypertufa . About 2 years north facing...
themes
Help with easy stepping stones
I want to make some stepping stones. I'm open to what...
harmonyfarms
cement gianna leaf for sale
I have reading all about how you make these cement...
twooofeathers
Sand or no sand
This is one part of the various recipes that always...
ctquilter
hypertufa millstones
These are three hypertufa millstones made about 6 weeks...
dougy2040
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™