Peach tree

Mrainey1234May 9, 2014

Have new peach tree 1-2 years old. It arrived with a few blossoms. All the blossoms have gone and all the branches break when I bend them back.
At the bottom of the bark, green leaves are growing, however they are starting to curl. Should I cut the tree all the the way back to the bark where the new green leaves are growing.
Live in sc pease help. Not sure what this tree is doing

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bradybb(wa8)

I'm not sure if "bottom of the bark" and "back to the bark where the new green leaves are growing,"means near the ground?If it does and there is no top growth(leaves and new shoots)then probably the graft failed and the rootstock is still alive.
Try scraping a little bark off in different areas from the top part of the tree with your fingernail or knife and check for green.If it is,then that part is still alive.If brown,then it's dead at that level and keep going down the tree to the graft union.If there is no green above the graft,it's dead and about the only thing to do is cut it down and start over or graft another variety onto the rootstock as the rootstock probably won't produce good fruit. Brady

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 12:55AM
More Discussions
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™