Fun with mask molds!

rickharmer(z4British Colum)November 18, 2005

So,I've been using my mask molds for a while now.i started with a latex mask from a kid's hallowe'en costume,then started ordering from the Internet,then makin my own.here are a few observations:

I don't use mixes that tend to the drier side.Mine are wet,almost sloppy;I do this to get into all the nooks and crannies(what's a cranny?).I'paint"the molds first with a cement/colour and I vibrate them upon completion(generators are REALLY good for that!).My voids are few to non-existent.I've had some of these pieces out in the weather for a couple of years,and they show no deterioration.

I have latex,silicone,urethane and plastic molds.I do NOT like plastic that I have tried so far as they are broken too easily.I was eaven backing them with foam during the pouring process(gotta cram the mud in!)and the thinner walled molds(and these come from a large supplier of same)are thrashed.

Urethane?Love it.Takes abuse,cleans up nice and has just the right flexibility;these will last a while.

Silicone?Easy to make and easy to work with.

Latex.Has to be backed with sand or some such,like fibreglass.

I also use stainless bowls-Boy,can they take abuse!!

I know that others out there have used molds longer than I and may disagree with my findings.But,what the hey,I'm still having fun!!

Cheers from here

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wannadanc(z8 WA)

That is so much fun - finding items that were never intended to be concrete molds and making them perform! I am including a link to some of my photos of this very kind of thing!

grins

Vicki

Here is a link that might be useful: Working w/ masks and other strange molds

Bookmark   November 22, 2005 at 8:42PM
More Discussions
Help with easy stepping stones
I want to make some stepping stones. I'm open to what...
harmonyfarms
Re-inforce hypertufa trough
Whats the best way to strengthen a large trough. I...
Syncmanatl
hypertufa millstones
These are three hypertufa millstones made about 6 weeks...
dougy2040
cement gianna leaf for sale
I have reading all about how you make these cement...
twooofeathers
Dry mix paths and mower strips, why not?
I've wanted to try this for some time. I have big piles...
linnea2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™