How to add tiers to a 3-tier Apple Espalier

dernce(9)May 6, 2014

I planted these 6-in-1 three tier apple espaliers just over a year ago and they're finally well rooted. There are two planted about 12 feet apart from one another.

Three tier trees was all I could get, but want them to have at least 6 levels - or at least get up to about 6 feet high.

How can I train them higher since the leader was cut before I got them? On one tree there is a vertical shoot from about 1 foot below the top tier. Should I encourage that to be a new leader? There are also several vertical branches close to the middle off of the top tier.

I would like it to produce fruit so wondering if selecting a branch off of the top tier will limit the growth to the top of the trees.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnthecook

I bought two also of the 6 in 1 espalier apple trees. My problem with mine were the bottom tier on both of them were too close the ground and the next tier so I removed the bottom one on both. I just allowed any growth nearest to the middle to grow and in one summer I had growth from both trees to go up another tier and then just bent the limbs growing out of the new limb at the right height. In the second year I all ready have growth for another tier.

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 4:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mes111(5b -Purling NY & 7b -Nassau County NY)

Dernce

This summer I am sure that several vertical shoots will develop off each horizontal scaffold near the trunk .
You can just train one of those to be a new leader and next spring head it at the next desired level. New side shoots will come up next spring and you can tie two of them down to form the next level.
Mike

Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 11:21PM
More Discussions
What is wrong with my Blueberry plant?
Hi, My blueberry (rabbiteye) plant seems to have developed...
bopwinter
how to prevent fruit tree borers
I've lost a few trees (peach and plum) to borers and...
jbclem
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™