Selling Hypertufa planters

KLM422November 15, 2013

Hello everyone,
This is my first post but I have been learning in the background for a little while now. I have been experimenting with hypertufa planters and now have too many to use and am thinking about selling some since I do craft fairs for other items I make. I am just wondering what the turn around time would be if I sell out of a particular size how long I would need to wait to make and sell another. Should I wait the whole 28 days until its "cured" or can I sell them after the first week or 2 where from what I have gathered here is when about 75% of the curing takes place. Thank you in advance for your input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
billie_ann(6b PA)

2 weeks start to finish. Have fun!

Bookmark   November 15, 2013 at 6:08PM
Mike Larkin

If they look great they will sell. Everyone can go to the web and find a recipe and make one. At least that is what they will say when they walk by you stand.
They need to be better that they can make on their own Use color, tile insert - very professional looking will sell.

Have a few planted creatively and you may sell a few more.

Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: My containers

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 9:21PM
JuniperSky

I'm curious how people sell their wares non-local. I've found they are too heavy to ship... Craft fairs entrance fees can be pretty expensive. I just am having a hard time figuring out the best route for selling. Any ideas?

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 5:25PM
club53

Get in touch with the local botanical gardens and plant sales for a good place to sell your troughs. The botanical gardens will deliver you a captive audience of plant folks. Lots of times local garden clubs have fund raising sales where you can set up for a nominal donation.

Sometimes you just have to load up the car/trailer and drive to sales. Don't get discouraged as sometimes the first year at a particular venue can be a bit dismal, but once people know you are going to be there, they will come looking for you year after year. Also, you'll figure out the size of trough and the price that seems to appeal to folks in your area. You can't please everyone -- the day you leave your large stuff at home is the day someone wants it, and vice versa.

I've never done real well at craft fairs as it just doesn't seem to be the right audience. Maybe it is different in other areas of the country. That being said, large Christmas Fairs can often be a great place to sell "Christmas presents for your gardening friends".

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 6:24PM
More Discussions
Lichens on vinyl fence
LICHENS on VINYL FENCE: HELP! Having always wanted...
jimmie
papercrete
Betty Mackey -- "Papercrete is similar to hypertufa...
Mike Larkin
Large and Thick Hypertufa
I have made a very large (for me) hypertufa trough....
luvmymoss
polishing
I was wondering if any one here actually found a great...
EasterIslandGiant
making EASY roof for small tower
I am not sure if i can even do this, but, I want to...
poaky1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™