Moss/lichen on sealed or unsealed projects?

Fleur(z5)November 22, 2005

I have a concrete leaf on which I'd like to grow moss or lichen. I haven't sealed it yet and wonder if the culture will take hold on a sealed item. I'd like to leave it out all winter but don't know if doing so with it unsealed would be safe. It has been cured. Also, is there any benefit in throwing in some baking yeast to encourage moss growth? Thanks for your thoughts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tango88(z8TX)

Moss Smoothies...lots of recipes...

Mix in a blender, paint on.

Stale beer, yogurt & some peat moss (lichens, if you have some)...

Yogurt, bakers yeast & peat moss...

Any thin mix of dough that's left over (thin with stale beer to a latex paint consistency)...

Anyone else have some thoughts...mixture ideas???

Bookmark   November 22, 2005 at 11:44PM
Fleur(z5)

Thanks tango88. Can one put this on a sealed project? Or must it be unsealed? Any idea how long it takes to look "aged"?

Bookmark   November 23, 2005 at 12:21AM
Running_Dog(Ireland)

Plastic pots grow green slime if they're in a damp enough area, so I don't see why sealed leaves shouldn't.

Bookmark   November 23, 2005 at 4:45AM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

Mosses will need to be moist for a large fraction of the time. In Ireland and even in northwest England, this can be achieved on almost any surface in the shade. In Idaho you will need a fairly porous surface to maintain the moisture and I think you will have trouble doing it on a sealed surface. Check out the moss forum, they have techniques for growing mosses on almost anything.

Lichens are different, they can grow in much drier conditions. They usually colonise rough dry surfaces like rocks. Rough so they can get a grip and dry so that nothing else can grow there. The downside is that they grow very very slowly.

Bookmark   November 23, 2005 at 11:23AM
More Discussions
Dry mix paths and mower strips, why not?
I've wanted to try this for some time. I have big piles...
linnea2
planters with cement and rags
has anyone tried making planters with cement and rags?...
casagrande
Stone Circle
I have mostly lurked here, only posting a couple of...
Myrdin
Concrete Sphere
Some pictures of a concrete ( portland and sand) sphere...
Mike Larkin
Has anyone used concrete letter stamps?
I bought some alphabet stamps for concrete stepping...
Fleur
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™