Need help to ID this tree/shrub

chara2(9)May 2, 2012

I need help in identifying this rescued tree/shrub. About 2 months ago I dug it out from the old lot there the small plant nursery used to be just a few years ago. It looks like it is recovering from the transplanting shock as is pushing a new growth. So, now I have two questions: what is it and what needs to be done to get it back in to the shape and fruit bearing condition. Upon transplanting, it had one small green fruit of the plum type, about 0.5 inch. Unfortunately, my camera doesn't catch a more red/purplish color on the new foliage. Please, advise, as I'm a newbie. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

The color of the foliage would indicate that it might be a rootstock. But there are fruiting varieties that are this color as well.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 3:16PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

It looks like a purple-leaf peach; as fruitnut states it could have been the rootstock as purple leaves are favored for roots (if a graft fails it raises a "purple flag" to the grower that something is amiss).

Scott

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 3:54PM
denninmi(8a)

OK, I have to share something with the group. I have had two peaches, one about 10-12 years ago, and I have one now, that are the rootstock from a deceased graft. Both of them actually had very tasty, albeit small, peaches. The current one is extremely late, and I often don't bother to harvest because I'm sick of peaches by that point, but they are really good in terms of flavor, a small freestone larger than a golf ball but smaller than a tennis ball.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 4:20PM
chara2(9)

This morning I went to a large nursery. After waking around for a while I found a group of grafted nectarines tagged Sunhome that look like my NOID. I think that it is it.
At some point I will have to remove most of the new shouts coming from the base. How many should be left? Will 3-4 be too many? Should I do it now or wait for a fall?

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 11:33AM
More Discussions
Getting rid of grape vines.
Is there something other than using a chemical to get...
marylmi
can you scrape off canker
i've read that when growing season is strong, such...
johndoug
Wisconsin honeyberry/haskap growers?
I'm combining the two as it seems with continued breeding...
wisconsitom
Urgent grafting advice: Experiment Antonovka +/- B9 interstem
You can read my previous posts to see photos of my...
hungryfrozencanuck
My Spupreme plum turns into Alderman!
At Plant Hill Nursery! They don't have a email address,...
Konrad___far_north
Sponsored Products
Sabrina Rug 4' x 6' - WHITE/BLACK
$199.90 | Horchow
Hampton Collection 24" Wide Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Bronze Floor Lamp: Designer Collection 60.5 in. Bronze Incandescent Floor Lamp C
Home Depot
Repurposed Tree Swing
$179.99 | Dot & Bo
Eclipse Brown Swivel Bar Stool - 238207
$132.26 | Hayneedle
3Form Dark Bronze Fluorescent 31-Inch Wide Six-Light Bowl Pendant with Fossil Le
Bellacor
Blue Zigzag Personalized Storage Basket
$29.99 | zulily
Area Rug: Metro Chili Red/Pecan 7' 6" x 9' 6"
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™