mulching and weeds

wardog25May 8, 2012

Everywhere I read says to keep the mulch 6-12 inches from the base of the tree.

So my question is, what does everyone do for that 6-12 inches? Just let the weeds grow? I don't want to use weed killer that close to my trees. So what other options are there? Just weed it now and then? Seems like a fair bit of work.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

I have been mulching close to my trees for years. Just be sure it stays away from the bark -- an inch or so is enough. Taper the depth so that it goes from nothing at the soil line of the trunk to your desired depth a minimum of 6-8 inches out from the trunk. That works for me. I haven't noticed any significant difference in terms of either disease or pest issues between trees mulched this way and those not mulched.

What you DON'T want to do is pile up mulch against the trunk -- that creates a wet environment where disease organisms can grow and gives pests, both small and large (voles being "large") a place to hide.

FWIW, if you make sure the area is free of weeds, weed roots and bits that can re-grow, you surely would be safe in using a little Preen to keep weed seeds from germinating.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 4:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan haigh

I put down some sheets of newspaper that go right to the trunk and pull away the mulch.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 4:37PM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™