Elizabeth Blueberry

Bruinx97(10 (Los Angeles, CA))May 24, 2012

Hi,

Bit of a Noob here...I bought my first Blueberry bush this season and have a few questions. I currently have it in a pot, until I can find a spot for it (and condition the soil).

I bought an Elizabeth Blueberry bush and it has grown a bit. However:

1) The leaves are a bit red. I noticed that they get 'greener' sometimes. What could be causing this?

I'm thinking it could be a temp issue, since it's currently in a pot and the weather has been very hot one day and cold the next.

2) I only bought 1 bush. Do I need to buy another bush to pollinate? If so, do I get another Elizabeth or will I need a different variety?

3) If I need a different variety, what is a good choice for Zone 10 and what is compatible with the Elizabeth?

I believe I need to get a variety that blooms around the same time (late season?) and with low chill hours.

4) What other factors need to be taken into account when selecting a pollinating companion?

Thanks in advance,

George

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blueboy1977(TX9A/B)

I looked up Elizabeth Blueberry and its rated for zones 4-8. Your in zone 10??? If so, chances are your plant will not recieve enough chill hours to fruit in your location. The good news is there are several varieties that are rated for zone 10. I know Biloxi, Misty, Sharpblue and Sunshine Blue are rated through zone 11 so you will have much better success with these varieties. Gulfcoast is also rated for zone 10.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 7:15PM
Bruinx97(10 (Los Angeles, CA))

Thanks Blueboy,

I bought it from Gurney's:

http://gurneys.com/elizabeth--blueberry/p/68290/

and it is rated for Zones 4-9, which is why I got it. I hope it isn't a typo...I have their caroline raspberries (rated 4-9) and they are doing great, but that may be a different beast. I think I've seen Misty and sharpblue at local nurseries and HD.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 7:55PM
blueboy1977(TX9A/B)

If I were you I would get both Misty and Sharpblue. Between the 3 you shouldnt have a pollination problem. Most Southern High Bush bloom close enought to each other for pollination. If you can find Sunshine Blue I highly recommend that variety. Very easy to grow, short and compact with tasty fruit. Cool temps will cause some redding in the leafs. I get the same thing here durning spring. Green one day and reddish the next.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 9:07PM
More Discussions
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™