help with my blueberry please

brenda_vMay 5, 2014

My blooming, nicely developed blueberry bush started to have drying leaves and flowers.
They are in pots, filled with acidic soil, had acidic fertilizer a while ago. We had plenty of rain recently, so I didn`t water it. Soil feels damp.
No clue what`s wrong with it.
I uploaded some pics.

I would appreciate some advice

thx

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

My only thought was that it dried out, but you say it's damp. Are you sure? Do you probe the soil with a wooden dowel or skewer or something? What is your growing medium? Zone? How long have you had the plant?

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 5:39PM
brenda_v

Hi, I had it for nearly 3 months. It's in acidic azalea compost. The garden centre recommended it. I put my finger down around around the root ball.
Now I noticed small brown spots on the normal looking leaves.:-(
Shame I really wanna save it.

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 2:38AM
ericwi

This looks like a disease to me, possibly something growing in the soil that is interfering with the roots. All of our blueberries are planted in the ground, here in Madison, Wisconsin, where I live. However, I do pay attention to posts made by people who grow them in pots. One recommended soil mix is 50% peat moss and 50% pine bark fines(shredded pine bark). The pot should have several drainage holes, and it should be slightly elevated off the floor, so it can drain well. About once a week, the pot should be overwatered, so that considerable outflow happens at the base of the pot. This is done to "flush out" any slimy bacteria, considered undesirable, that might be colonizing the lower reaches of the pot. Some growers overwater every time they water, some people do this operation once a week. I hope this helps.

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 9:07AM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Eric is 100% right. Compost in pots is not recommended. Mine are in pots too, and the mix is pine bark mulch and peat.

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 9:54AM
brenda_v

Thx guys. I'm gonna get some bark today. I hope it's not all lost.:-0

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 11:31AM
More Discussions
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™