Planting new plum

Jerseymec(6b)May 6, 2013

Hello,
I am planning to plant a new plum in my front yard since it receives the most amount of sun and hence some of the grass has dried off. I was pulling out Dandelions around the edges when I saw a white grub. Is it safe to plant the tree in the greener part of the yard or should I avoid it till its treated?

Thanks,
Charles.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

White grubs are everywhere in my soil, there would be noplace to plant if I was going to avoid them. My grubs are some kind of beetle larvae, pill bugs I think.

Scott

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 9:54PM
rayrose(8)

You should plant the plum in a weed/grass free zone, at least 3-4 feet in diameter, and should be planted with another variety that blooms at the same time, unless the variety you're planting is self fertile.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 8:35AM
alan haigh

I think you are asking about the grub poison affecting the tree, and no, it should not.

Very good idea to follow Rayrose's advice though. I'd suggest adding mulch as well and, for a plum, go for 5' if you are ok with that. Once tree is established you can let the grass return if you like.

Also, pollination may be more complicated than just same time blooming, as I understand it. Let us know what variety of plum you are intending to plant.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 10:23AM
Jerseymec(6b)

Thanks very much guys. Yes I am concerned about the grub treatment affecting a tree I plan to put down there next week. Now I stop worrying about it. Thanks :) I will make sure I clear out 5' around the trees.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 12:17PM
More Discussions
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Toxic Waste:
I have been told by a Nursery friend of mine not to...
loneranger_grow
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™