Grape growth

MrsEllisMay 2, 2013

My husband and I are installing an arbor at the entrance to our vegetable garden. We wanted to plant a grape vine next to the arbor. Obviously when buying a grape vine it is quite small. We have been told that it will take years before the grape makes it up over the arbor. Is this true? I believed the vines to grow quickly. I expect it would take years to get a good stock of grapes (which we do want) but we are most eager for the full leafy grape vine look. How long will this take and how many grape vines should we plant? Thank you for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

The rate of grape growth varies greatly with growing conditions, season length, and variety vigor. With good growing conditions and our long season we can easily get 8-10ft cane extension per year and could push them with water and nitrogen to double that.

For average conditions figure 8ft per year and one plant occupying about 8x10 = 80 sq ft.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 4:33PM
MrsEllis

Thank you! Is that the type of growth we should expect from a newly planted vine or one that is quite a bit more established?

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 5:22PM
murkwell

I think fruitnut's post contained an implied invitation to give us a little more information on your climate and growing conditions.

If you plant a grape in spring of 2013 it should be able to cover a trellis in 2015 and go nuts after that. The first year will probably be just getting established.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 5:41PM
flatwoods_farm(9A Riverview, F)

I suggest planting one year bare rooted vines. You should trim the roots at planting anyway. I got 24 feet across- top and bottom wire in 11 months using Florida-bred bunch grape hybrids. What zone are you in?

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 9:42PM
More Discussions
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™