Weird bumps on grape leaves

elephantschild(7a)May 31, 2011

I'm growing grapes for the first time, and when I was out mulching them yesterday, I noticed something weird on one branch of one plant. I'm thinking I should just cut the branch off, since it can't possibly be good, but can anyone tell me what it is? The first photo is the branch in question, the next is the grapes from that plant, the one after that is some damage to the leaves on another branch (it was laying on the ground until I tied it up to the trellis just before I took the photo), and the last is the leaf from a completely different plant that I just thought was neat looking.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

http://insatiableelephantschild.blogspot.com/2011/05/grapes.html

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Cool!
Suspect they are galls due to insects laying eggs in the leaf. If so, when you cut one in half, you're likely to see the youngsters.

Please cut & post an image of whatever you find.

Oh yes, in most cases, insect galls don't damage the plant's health. But 1st, let's see what's in one of the bumps.

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 5:22PM
elephantschild(7a)

Surgery? OK, I'll check it out tomorrow. Silly me, I was just going to cut the whole thing off and not check to see what was inside. Not much light left today, though, so stay tuned tomorrow.

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 8:21PM
elephantschild(7a)

I cut the branch off, then I cut a few of the galls open, but I didn't see anything inside but a small void. They seemed smaller than they were the other day, though, so maybe whatever was there had already departed. If I see them again, I'll deal with them more promptly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Well That Was Anticlimactic

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 1:05AM
More Discussions
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™