Pear tree problem

danzeb(7a long island)May 23, 2014

One pear tree look perfect so far the other has leaves as shown in the photo. Anyone know that the problem is?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fireduck(10a)

That is undoubtedly a bacterial problem that is most likely due to humid/moist weather. Monitor it...but these are usually minor issues.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 7:47PM
danzeb(7a long island)

Yes there has been wet weather for a week. The week before the wet weather came the leaves looked perfect.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 10:26AM
alan haigh

Here in NY some pear varieties are easy to grow and others are very difficult at some sites. Between scab, fabracea and pear psyla, I usually don't get a precise bead on the issue but can keep pears healthy with a 2% early oil spray and several aps of a good pear fungicide like Flint or Mancozeb and sometimes a follow up insecticide that can handle psyla (not counting a couple insecticide sprays to protect fruit).

What is the variety that is suffering? If the tree defoliates by about mid-summer you will need to either do a lot more spraying or grow tougher varieties. If it is just a few leaves that look like that then forget my advice and let the tree be.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 2:05PM
danzeb(7a long island)

The pear trees received an oil spray but no fungicide. The damaged leaves are from a Bartlet pear tree. A Moonglow next to it looks ok. A Keiffer tree I have has a small amount of damage.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 8:50PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

Never seen that before. Only issue i've ever had with pears is blister mites...that looks totally different. Sounds good what others have said.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 9:24PM
More Discussions
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
Wanted: Black Ice plum --) swap
Edit This post was edited by Gardening_Maestro on Tue,...
Gardening_Maestro
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Bareroot pruning of a multi-branched nectarine?
Just picked up a bareroot Snow Queen and it has several...
brownmola
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™