deciding on peach, apple and cherry trees

SarahMarshallMay 30, 2012

i live in western Oklahoma zone 6/7 and am wondering about some trees in particular Ranger peach tree, stella cherry tree, and a liberty apple tree? does anyone know anything about these trees or the care of them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
franktank232(z5 WI)

I have a Stella sweet cherry. Only issue may be early frost/freeze after the tree has flowered (they flower early) and rain issues around harvest time (they crack easily). Self pollinating so no need for a cross pollination.

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 5:11PM
SarahMarshall

thank you for that information. i actually read they are difficult to crack so I'm glad you mentioned your personal experience thank you!!

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 7:51PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Sarah, Stella is an outdated variety, it was the first self-fertile variety but there have been many improved varieties since then. Its taste is considered mediocre compared to other cherry varieties. I have never grown it myself so this is only based on what I have heard. Lapins is considered the "modern replacement" for Stella, it is pretty old itself by now though. Black Gold is my favorite self-fertile cherry. It has cracked for me but does better than most varieties.

I don't know about Ranger peach tree. I have seen mixed reviews of Liberty and am not growing it but overall I would say its not a bad choice. You will need another variety to pollinate it. Of the disease resistant apples GoldRush seems to be the favorite for taste, then Williams Pride, then Enterprise, then Liberty. You may want to look at these other ones I mention to see if they are to your liking or for a pollinator.

Scott

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 8:28AM
franktank232(z5 WI)

I agree with Scott. I would choose Lapins over Stella, based on flavor alone. I have both. They both ripen around the same time for me. Both are self fertile.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 9:31AM
SarahMarshall

Thank you Scott. is there a website where i can hear the reviews and see all of the varieties?

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 1:29PM
JasonNCarolina

RedHaven Peach
Goldrush Apple
White Gold, Black Gold Cherry

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 2:36PM
More Discussions
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
How to shape this Grape Vine
Here is a grafted Perlette Grape Vine growing in it's...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™