Is this fireblight on this quince tree?

dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)May 29, 2013

Started out as a sucker from my dad's friends. Bloomed beautifully for the first year this year. The leaves were coming out very nicely this year and suddenly they all turned brown and crisp! I don't think lack of watering is a problem here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
campv

Its hard to tell from the photo(maybe closer would be better) but the leaves are not black. Fireblight usually starts at the tips of a branch then works it way down. The tip is bent like a shepards hook and the stem and leaves are black.
Ck your water. What kind of water system do you have? Did some one spray weed spray near by? Is that plastic over the roots?
Did you use fertilizer? Stockton can get pretty hot. Though I don't think it is weather related.

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 10:43AM
larry_gene

Consider verticillium or similar diseases as a cause of the individual branch die-off.

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 10:43PM
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)

Hey there, here's a closer up picture. The plastic was only there for a couple of days. It is adequately watered with a garden hose, and no weed spray or fertilizer has been used. I'm actually starting to think it's weather related because it really is just that hot in Stockton right now. Though, I've never experience die back in any tree like this before.

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 5:58PM
mrsg47(7)

OK, after a little research I believe it is Verticillum Wilt. Whew. Not canker. Mrs. G

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 7:23PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Gee, I would say fireblight. Quince doesn't turn black like pears. Its also super-susceptible and is why my quince are now rootstocks. Note the "crook" on a few of those tips... a classic sign due to the sudden dieback.

I would say 80% probability of FB but it could be something else.

I would prune it all out to remove any spores left on the dead bits.

Scott

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 9:04AM
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)

hmmm.. After looking up Vertiillum wilt, it does appear to have the same symptoms. I've just cut back all of the burnt leaves and hopefully it will return to normal. Thanks for all of the feedback

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 5:09PM
More Discussions
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Blackberries in the age of SWD
It seems that spotted wing Drosophila is making blackberry...
marc5
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™