Red leaves on apricot

c5tigerMay 5, 2012

The new growth on my 2 year old goldkist apricot is red, leaves and limbs. Some of the growth is over a foot long but the leaves are not turning green. I did a search and the closest I could come up with was severe nitrogen deficiency. I gave it nitrogen earlier this year and again yesterday. All my other trees in the same area look fine and I don't think this is my problem. After I planted it last year it bloomed profusely but this year only 4 blooms, it just does not seem healthy. The first growth spurt this year looked good with nice green leaves that are still green, everything since then is red. Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

tiger:

New growth on apricot is often a beautiful red. After a bit the leaves turn green and the stem green then reddish brown. They are one of the most decorative fruit trees. So it's entirely possible that nothing is wrong.

If you still think otherwise post a picture.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 7:19PM
c5tiger

My new growth has always started red but quickly turn green. I have full sized leaves that have had a reddish tint for over a month.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 8:59PM
c5tiger

pictures

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 9:28PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Well your tree doesn't look too good, but you knew that. I'm not sure what's wrong. It does look somewhat like a nitrogen deficient tree looks like but I don't think that is the only problem. It should be a lot fuller with growth, new shoots, and leaves. The grass and weeds don't look good either. Is it dry? Have you had the soil tested? Do you have the tree mulched? It looks to be fighting those weeds for water and fertility.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 9:41PM
c5tiger

It has been dry but I have been watering the tree regularly. The pluot next to it is dark green and is growing very fast and I don't give it much fertilizer. Soil should be fine but could be on the acidic side.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 10:12PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Too acid could be the issue. A soil test might be in order.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 10:40AM
More Discussions
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™