How to make wild blueberry bush cuttings and propagate?

xenacrocker(7)May 7, 2008

Hi,

I'm so excited! My neighbor has a house in the mountains with wild blueberry bushes. She has offered to dig up some of the plants on her property to bring back for me the next time she visits the mountains. I thought it might be easier for her if she took some cuttings and I tried propagating them. But I don't know how. Could anyone tell me how to do it or point me to some resources?

Thanks,

andrea

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
murkwell

Probably much better chance of getting them healthy if she digs whole plants.

In another thread on huckleberries somebody suggested using a spade to sever the roots around the plant you want to take. You con do that a month or two ahead of time to allow the plant to adjust to the lower root mass. You could then dig them up with the remaining roots intact and minimize transplant shock.

Best to move them while they are dormant.

If you take cuttings I'd expect it best to take them while dormant. There have been other posts on gardenweb on how to get cuttings to grow.

It can be as simple as dipping them in rooting hormone and sticking them in the ground outside in growing medium suitable to blueberries.

It may help to allow for some humidity and perhaps partial shade the first season while they are getting established.

I've managed to somewhat successfully get some plants goin indoors under flourescent lights using dormant cuttings from the germplasm repository in Corvallis Oregon.

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 5:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jellyman(6/7VA)

Andrea:

Save some excitement for around January or February, when the plants are fully dormant. If you try to move blueberries now, whether they be whole plants or cuttings, they will die.

It is possible to start blueberry cuttings taken while dormant and stored in refrigeration, by dipping them in rooting hormone and planting them out in acidic soil in early spring.

But if you are a beginner, and can get whole plants, by all means take them. You will reduce the time to fruiting by several years.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 8:59AM
More Discussions
My Spupreme plum turns into Alderman!
At Plant Hill Nursery! They don't have a email address,...
Konrad___far_north
Strange world of paw paw's
Because the extended drought in my area my paw paw's...
persimmonbob
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
KNNN espalier planting
Hi - I just planted some 1 year bare root apple trees....
Jamie Cartwright
What is happening to my Apple Tree? Fixes?
We purchased this tree and planted it a year ago. ...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Sponsored Products
Rainbow I Bronze One-Light LED Wall Sconce with Dichroic Sunrise Glass
$400.50 | Bellacor
Iran Art Design Antiqued Serapi Persian 4'x6' Hand Knotted Heriz Wool Rug H3972
BH Sun Inc
Ticking stripe wool blanket - navy
Origin Crafts
Home Decorators Runner: Olympia Brown 2' 6" x 10'
Home Depot
Personalized Pet Bowl Holder - V
$250.00 | Horchow