Espalier apple tree...what to do??

howboutbakeMay 13, 2014

Hi there,

I'm new so I hope this is the correct forum.

I really wanted an apple tree for the backyard but my only option was an espalier due to space restrictions. The only espalier I could find was one grafted with six varieties...

It is still rather short (about 5ft) and I have enough space to let it grow larger. If I want more vertical growth, will I have to source and find material to graft on?

Also, is there a way to determine if the main trunk is rootstock, or a named variety?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

I really like the way they've tagged the varieties.

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 7:16PM
howboutbake

Yeah, that part was useful :)

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 8:20PM
johnthecook

I bought the same type of Espalier and couldn't find out through the nursery I bought it from what the root stock was. I have two and just used the growth off of the top limb closest to the middle. It worked just fine and the second year I have apples growing on my new fourth row limbs.

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 8:21PM
howboutbake

ahhh gotcha! That is just what I am going to do :) Thanks a million!

How is your tree performing? Have you lost any of the grafts? I keep hearing that these multi-varieties are not the best choice.

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 10:46PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

As for height,...you can grow them up on a angle until desired height.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 12:39AM
howboutbake

That's true! Again, I never thought of doing a more fan-like formation. The branches are certainly flexible enough!

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 1:02AM
johnthecook

I think maybe they make the levels to close for shipping and a smaller tree. I removed my bottom ones because they were too close to the ground and the second level limbs. One day I noticed something was eating the bottom apples because they were squirrel height off the ground. I have read that on regular trees multi grafts can be a little learning curve because different varieties grow at different speeds and one side of the tree can get more out of control. the espalier is perfect for different varieties.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 7:10AM
howboutbake

Haha I was looking at it today, and my most favourite varieties are the two on the bottom, and my two least favourites are on the top!

I think I will just get it in the ground and see how it goes

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 2:22PM
johnthecook

If you haven't already done it, you will need some sturdy posts and wire to keep your Espalier growing correctly. I was lucky the bottom ones were Spartan and Mcintosh which I already have as dwarf trees. One of the reasons I grew up more is because my top one is Gravenstein an early and very good apple.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 3:17PM
howboutbake

Yeah I am going to grow it against a 10 ft fence and do a wire trellis (which is why I want to grow up) ...I also have a few grape vines that will benefit from it as well :)

The varieties I have are jonagold, Lodi, red delicious, golden delicious, Granny Smith, and Winesap.

I will post a picture when I get her all sorted. I am so excited! The tree was only 40 bucks too

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 6:34PM
More Discussions
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Early-Spring and General Spray Questions for 4-yr old Maryland Orchard
Hi all, I planted the following fruit trees in Spring...
lindsgardeninmd
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
Toxic Waste:
I have been told by a Nursery friend of mine not to...
loneranger_grow
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™