How do you know when wolfberries are ready?

Moosetrackz(9)May 9, 2012

Hello. I purchased a wolfberry bush about 4 months ago and I just noticed it has a few tiny fruits on it. How do I know when these are ripe? They're pretty red already, does that mean they're ripe?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

Basically, yes, when fully red. You may find that you prefer the flavor after they sit longer on the plant, a few extra days, to lose as much of the bitterness as possible. Personally, not a big fan of the plant or fruit, what little it bears here, but since I bought it, I'll keep it, just so I can say I have it in my collection.

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 7:06PM
Moosetrackz(9)

Thanks. I did not go out to buy a wolf berry plant. I asked if they had a gooseberry bush and this is what they gave me. I didn't think it looked right but it was on sale so I took it home and found out what it was. Now Im just keeping it because its sort of unusual and I guess it suppose to be good for you. The leaves taste ok too.

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 8:10PM
quillfred

As Denninmi said, pick when fully red. They will separate easily from the stem when ripe. I don't like them straight off the plant. I slow dry them in the oven (@200f) until they are raisins and eat them for snacks.

This last Summer the yellow jackets discovered them and I found that some had holes "drilled" into them. Maybe I'll put some mosquito netting up this year. As healthy as they are I figure they are worth the bother.

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 12:25AM
SoTX(8b/9a)

I wish I had not planted mine--beware invasiveness! Mine diddled along for 5 years and then took off--everywhere & strangling other plants. Off subject, but be warned!

Bookmark   May 10, 2012 at 4:08PM
More Discussions
Blueberry leaves turning brown
The leaves of one of my southern highbush (Snowchaser...
julia_scheidt
Urgent grafting advice: Experiment Antonovka +/- B9 interstem
You can read my previous posts to see photos of my...
hungryfrozencanuck
what kind of fruit tree is this?
My guess is some type of peach, but the fruit is throwing...
surferguata
plum truble
I have a gold plum tree aprox 5years old. It has always...
john zone 8
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™