Is My Blackberry Infested with Blackberry Cane Borers?

GhadamesMay 1, 2014

Hello,

While pruning my thornless blackberry plant, I noticed these galls on its canes.

FYI, my plant is two years old. I live in southern Quebec. 2/3 of the plant was cover with snow almost the entire winter.

This gall is located at the bottom of the cane:
http://www.cheapvoipequipment.com/Untitled1.jpg

This one is located in the middle on a different cane:
http://www.cheapvoipequipment.com/Untitled2.jpg

I only have two strong big canes and a skinny one. Can someone explain exactly what they are, and if I should do something about them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
2010champsbcs

Ghadames. It sure looks like cane borers to me. We are a long way apart but appear to have a similar problem. I posted a picture of my Natchez blackberry a few days ago. Yours looks similar. What variety of blackberry grows that far north? There are many more experienced people than myself that could be more definitive. Good Luck, Bill

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 8:54PM
2010champsbcs

Ghadames. It sure looks like cane borers to me. We are a long way apart but appear to have a similar problem. I posted a picture of my Natchez blackberry a few days ago. Yours looks similar. What variety of blackberry grows that far north? There many more experienced people than myself that could be more definitive. Good Luck, Bill

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 8:58PM
Ghadames

I don't know what type of blackberry it is. It was given to me by my mom's friend. All I know is that it's thornless.

Last summer, these cane borers attacked my raspberry plants. I was able to cut off the tilted tips and save the canes. The source of the problem was a small sick tree nearby that was infested with aphids and other insects. I saw borers too. After I removed the tree, no more tilted tips.

They might have laid eggs on my blackberry canes, but I did not see any tilted tips. I check my plants almost everyday during summer.

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™