cherry leaf issue

queensinfoMay 16, 2013

This tree has been doing great so far (2nd yr lapins). I noticed these leaeves when checking the tree the other day. They look like they a full size leaf shrunk and became wrinkly. It isnt starting at the edge or outside. Is this a fertilizer issue? It maybe started after a few days of heavy rain but i can't really tell the timing. so far it is only on the newer growth from a new branch or two formed from pruning. I think the smaller curled leaves are ones that just opened.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bencjedi(6 - Central Kentucky)

That kind of looks like Peach Leaf Curl, which is a fungal infection. I was just reading about it earlier and has to be controlled before the buds open in late winter with a spraying regimen. You might be able to pluck off the funky leaves to minimize the spread this year.

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 11:12PM
queensinfo

I looked it up but it doens't quite seem to fit the definition i found. Any other thoughts?

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 10:06AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

No, not PLC - this does not affect cherries. I would say it is one of two things, either aphids, which are very easy to control, or possibly variations in fertilization. You've got your tree in a container, so I'm thinking probably the latter. Either too much fertilizer released or not enough. Watering and fertilizing can be a little more tricky with stone fruit in pots - Fruitnut can give you some good guidelines for that if you need it. If you see aphids, which tend to attack the newer, more tender growth, just give the tree a hard spraying with water, then treat with hort oil. In either case, I don't think this is anything to worry about.

Patty S.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 10:41AM
queensinfo

Thanks Patty you may be correct but the odd thing is that it is only on one or two of the main branches' leaves and not the whole tree. I gave the plant some osmocote slow release about a month ago (and boy did new branches take off after pruning- almost a foot of growth on many new branches). I did give it some dilute miracle grow a few times but then stopped because we had a long period of rain here.
I'll keep watching it for aphids but i havent seen any signs yet.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 5:04PM
nassauguy26

Hi queenskitchen. Did you make your cherry tree soil or did you purchase it. If you bought it where?

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 7:32PM
queensinfo

It is a modified gritty mix from the container forum. I replaced half the granite with perlite to keep the weight down. Still darn heavy though.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 6:30PM
More Discussions
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™