What happened to this Blueberry bush?

Bradybb(wa8)May 25, 2014

I gave a couple of Blueberry plants to a friend about a month ago that are being kept on an outside deck.I just visited today after being there about two weeks ago.
He showed me them and one doesn't look healthy.It is a Draper and the other is a Northern Highbush also.The Draper's berries are small and somewhat shriveled and some of the leaves are wilted and partly necrotic.The plants are sitting side by side and he said were given water at the same time.The other plant looks fine in every way.
To me,it looks like a lack of water,but I guess disease is possible. Brady

The troubled plant

Both plants

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
galinas

did you plant them yourself in the pots? if you bought them potted, it is possible, that the one that is dying doesn't have good root system... I couple times have found potted plants just stuck in the pot with half roots damaged or rotten.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 7:15PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

It's probably just dry. At least in TX few people seem to be able to even keep bb alive much less fruit. Sometimes I think I'm one of those people.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 7:56PM
Bradybb(wa8)

Yes,I grew the sick one from when it was a baby,about two or three years ago.I repotted it last Spring of Fall.There was a lot of fruit last year. Brady

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 8:03PM
galinas

Then may be it is just dry? What kind of mix you used?... Watering containers could be tricky. Sometimes you pure half gallon of water and think you watered it well... But in fact water just when between pot and the soil-root ball and leave everything dry. Give it a good long watering, with slow flow... If it is over dry inside it will take long to wet it through.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 9:28PM
Bradybb(wa8)

It is Pine bark mulch and peat moss.
The thing is,I'm not the one who's doing their watering anymore.I have over twenty plants that are similar size and none of them look like that. Brady

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 9:58PM
blueboy1977(TX9A/B)

Looks dry to me as well. I have found that when watering with a hose the water will just drain to the sides of the pots and not flow through the mix its self if not kept watered often enough. I have one 15 gallon Jewel doing that as we speak. I need to submerge it and let it rehydrate. Thats one of the problems with peat heavy mixes. Once it dries out it becomes hydrophobic and repels water instead of absorbing it. It needs to be hyrated quickly because its all down hill from here.

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 7:53AM
hoosier318

I would transfer to another larger pot and then mix 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 potting soil, and about 1/3 fine pine bark mulch and water well, but don't over water. They should grow like crazy!! Amazing what mine have done after following that approach!

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 8:40AM
More Discussions
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™