blueberry growth

QuestioningSerenity(9a)May 11, 2013

Alright ya'll, i'm back again. And hopefully I have an easy question for you all.

I took ya'lls advice about the acid fertilizer and am using that on my blueberries now. But here's my problem. The berries it has so far seem to be staying the same size. And it's grown a ton of new stems w/no berries on them. Should I cut the new stems off so it'll possibly focus more on the berries it has? Or is this how it's suppose to work? My first year with all my plants. My strawberries are doing great but the blueberries are kinda just sitting there.

That and as soon as I see any ripening berries i'm bringing those sucker indoors xD.

Btw- Blueberries have had these berries since I bought them in late march.

Again, thank you all for those who read and those who answer. I've gotten such amazing help from you all, I feel really hopefully i'll succeed in keeping 'almost' everything alive xD

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

QS,

Seems normal. It will ripen the berries when it does:) The new growth won't have berries this year but will next year. The more new growth you get this year the more berries next year so don't cut them. Really just focus on growth not the berries.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 7:14PM
QuestioningSerenity(9a)

Thank you Bamboo for such a quick answer!

I won't worry as much now :) It's fun watching everything growing this summer. Thankfully I've lil 'hunters' to help guard the lower blueberry branches from the birds.(No, i wouldn't actually let my cat's catch a bird, but they sure do think they can xD)

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 7:26PM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Let them catch them:) is fine with me. If that new growth is robust and gets tall you can snip the tip to make it branch out.......= more growth so more berries next year.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 7:32PM
QuestioningSerenity(9a)

Haha it would be interesting for sure. Though i'm not sure my deaf one would know what to do with a bird xD. Oddly enough, the branches are all growing sideways for the most part. I think the 3 day storm we had did NOT help 0.o/ i was actually convinced for 3 days it had lost some branches that had mysteriously disappeared. Nope, they were just bent sideways!

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 7:55PM
Avocado101(9A Southern California)

For several weeks I have been waiting for purple colored blueberries. I had my cage setup and net ready to cover the plants when the blueberries started to ripe. And for several weeks I waited. All the time, birds were picking off the slightest ripened blueberries. I didn't know.

Until..., I had seen a pretty slightly purple blueberry, and reminded myself to pick it next day when it has ripened little bit more. That evening, when I went back to see the ripened blueberry, it was gone. No trace at all.

Immediately, I called my son out and placed the netting around the pvc cage I had placed around my blueberries.

How I had been robbed of so many blueberries...

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 1:42AM
ericwi

If you have sidewalks in your neighborhood, you might begin to see purple stained bird poop here & there, on the concrete surface. That is a sure sign that the local birds are visiting your blueberry patch. Birds know exactly what they are doing-they wait for the fruit to get ripe, before they take it.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 9:26AM
More Discussions
Growing Anything Under A Black Walnut Tree
Hi Gang.....maybe someone here has a solution or idea,...
Greenhorn2
Urgent grafting advice: Experiment Antonovka +/- B9 interstem
You can read my previous posts to see photos of my...
hungryfrozencanuck
Wisconsin honeyberry/haskap growers?
I'm combining the two as it seems with continued breeding...
wisconsitom
Water and other issues with young peach tree
I have a peach tree that was transplanted last spring...
sheckylovejoy
new orchard - a few questions
I'd like to start a small orchard on a recently purchased...
Fiona Kerr
Sponsored Products
DENY Designs Caroline Okun Blueberry Outdoor Throw Pillow - 15617-OTHRP18
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Blueberry Organic Muslin Fitted Crib Sheet
$19.99 | zulily
Paula Deen Signature Enamel on Steel 12-Quart Blueberry Stockpot
Overstock.com
Cylinder Glass Drink Dispenser with Infuser
Classic Hostess
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Braided Area Rug: Colonial Mills Rugs Blokburst
Home Depot