watermelon plants growing tall

naturalmommys(9)May 7, 2012

I planted some watermelon, chard and lettuce seeds. I am guessing this is what they call 'leggy'? They are growing high and show no signs of more leaves, the watermelon anyway. I'm mostly concerned about the watermelon since my kids are so

excited about this. I have them under a grow light inside my pantry. There are no windows, the only light from the grow light. Is that bad? Also its a small area they are in with the ceiling only 4feet tall, in that spot anyway. To much heat making them grow too fast? What can I do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

In zone 9 why not just plant them outside? They need more light and they only good way to do that is outside planted where they can fruit.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 7:44PM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Fruitnut is right. I am in zone 9 also and I direct sow the watermelons outside on March 1.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 9:35PM
naturalmommys(9)

It was a spontanous thing. We were in the garden center and my kids wanted to plant seeds in one of those self watering seed planting kits. We plan to transplant them into Earthboxes. So I am guessing the grow light isn't enough? Are these going to the trash or are they saveable? Is it too late to direct sow into an Earthbox?

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 3:26AM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Trash.... Just direct sow the seed outside in the earthbox. Watermelons need a lot of feed. I don't think it is too late.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 8:12AM
carolync1(z8/9 CA inland)

Or, you might save the kits and lights to start tomato seedlings next winter. This would allow you to get varieties not available commercially. The grow light should be just a few inches above the plants, and they will need air circulation and some attention to temperature. Check on the web for instructions. You can also get a little jump on the season next year with other warm-weather crops by putting down clear or black plastic to warm the soil while planting seeds indoors. Then plant the young seedlings through the plastic mulch.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 7:33PM
More Discussions
Bareroot pruning of a multi-branched nectarine?
Just picked up a bareroot Snow Queen and it has several...
brownmola
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™