An anolgy on bud hardiness

MichaelMay 1, 2013

Thought you might like to toss this idea around.

As the cold temps. of winter progress, fruit buds are slowly being filled with antifreeze until the concentration reaches a maximum limit for the species. As the warm periods of Spring start to hit, the increasing temps. begin to drain the antifreeze out and the buds become more susceptible to cold temps.. So, what do you think of this unrefined notion, it is very simple in concept?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan haigh

Isn't a reduction of water in the cells a big part of it- water expands and burst the cell walls is how I remember cold damage being caused, not about compounds that resist freezing being absent. Hardening is a dehydration process, I thought. Is this compound you call antifreeze a newer understanding?

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 6:47AM
Michael

Not a compound at all Hman, I have no understanding of the physiology of bud hardiness. Reduction of water sounds very plausible though. I just liked the concept of antifreeze, an accumulating, "factor" that leaves the bud as more warm temps. accumulate.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 11:43AM
murkwell

I believe that along with that reduction in water comes a greater concentration of dissolved solids which lowers the freezing point.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 12:29PM
alexander3_gw(6 Pennsylvania)

I believe murky is correct, but in addition, plants synthesize different compatible solutes (antifreeze) in response to cold. You can read a bit about the other changes that happen here:

http://www.plantphysiol.org/content/120/2/391.full

Here is a link that might be useful: freezing tolerance in plants

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 12:45PM
alan haigh

Freezing tolerance is not the same thing as seasonal hardening off of deciduous trees. I didn't think the article was very relevant to this specific topic, but maybe I'm missing something.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 4:07PM
Michael

Poor old Arabidopsis, the lab rat of the plant kingdom.

The abstract seemed to be pointing to freezing tolerance in a more general application and not to bud hardiness but, maybe some of the changes mentioned like those in cell walls also are part of seasonal hardening off. My brain used to like to study scholarly articles like this stuff, now it's just tiring but interesting still.

In additon, the article gives me a little hope that the lettuce might have been altered by the last 20 hours of near freezing temps and survive tonight's predicted 28 deg.. Hope springs eternal!

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 4:54PM
More Discussions
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™