Potting a mulberry tree

girlbug2(z9/10, Sunset zone 24)May 18, 2010

Due to space limitations, I have decided that the only way I can fit a mulberry into my edible landscape (without ruining the plumbing and pavement, that is) is to have a potted specimen.

Do I need to go with a dwarf variety like the contorted mulberry, or can I try an Illinois Everbearing or a Pakistan King?

What size of container would be best?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sautesmom

Size: At least a wine barrel, if not bigger.

And no, in zone 9 it's warm enough that you would limited to the contorted, because my 5-year-old Noir de Spain mulberry measures about 15 feet tall by 20 feet wide with a 12-inch-diameter trunk, and growing fast!

Carla in Sac

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 9:25PM
brettay

Any tree can be kept to a reasonable size if you are willing to prune it. Keep in mind, you also need to do root pruning occasionally.

If you are willing to do this I would recommend buying the best tasting mulberry you can find, not necessarily one that is a dwarf. I have heard that the Persian variety is the best, but this is not from personal experience.

Mulberries will fruit relatively prolifically when they are of a small size. My three foot tall Pakistan mulberry has about 25-30 fruits ripening this year.

Hope this helps.

-Brett

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 10:52AM
creekweb(6,7)

I would say that the largest size container that you can manage would be best, bearing in mind that every few years you would need to root prune - an exercise that can become more difficult with large containers.
I have a Pakistan mulberry growing and fruiting well in a 15 gallon pot.

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 2:56PM
girlbug2(z9/10, Sunset zone 24)

thanks for all the replies.

Creekweb, how old is your Pakistan mulberry?

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 3:00PM
denninmi(8a)

I concur with the above. I think that you won't have any problem keeping one going in a container in your climate. I had several in pots for several years and they bore fruit. In Michigan, I had to heel them in each winter, and finally got sick of it and planted them out. Of course, they are a lot bigger now once liberated from the pots. You won't have that wintertime chore in Zone 9.

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 3:55PM
alan haigh

The pot will do the dwarfing and mulberries want to fruit so use any size pot you want- I'd go for 25 gallons and I'd let the roots grow into the soil and prune the roots annually.

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 6:36PM
nullzero(9)

I would grow the variety Geraldi Dwarf mulberry, it does not grow much over 6ft tall. It tastes similar to a Illinois everbearing from the online info I have read. You should have no problem with it growing in a 15 gal container.

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 7:08PM
More Discussions
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
How to shape this Grape Vine
Here is a grafted Perlette Grape Vine growing in it's...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™