Blueberry stem discolorations

sharppa(6)May 10, 2014

I few of my blueberries have stems with some discoloration on them like in this picture. Is this a fungus or virus or blight? Any treatment suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericwi

Some of our northern highbush blueberries have odd looking stems this spring. It was a tough winter, and there was some die-back at the tips. I am guessing that the stems are suffering from the combined effect of too cold for too long, and possibly dryness. Wisconsin is full of evergreen trees and shrubs that have brown patches this spring. We think that most of them will recover, eventually, but right now, they don't look so good.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 12:12AM
riverman1

The leaves look good, I wouldn't worry about it. Some of wood on your plant looks a bit old though, you may want to think about slowly taking some of the older canes out to promote new growth.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 10:19AM
sharppa(6)

Thanks. I was worried it was blueberry stem canker like in the picture on the page linked below. This particular plant is not doing well and has maybe 70% dead branches this spring and I've left the pH get too high in this bed. (6.1 last fall, 5 other plants in same soil). And I've neglected the pruning with some of these plants and they had very little growth last year. Soil test said there was enough nutrients but just too high a pH and too much calcium.

Here is a link that might be useful: canker picture

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 1:44PM
More Discussions
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™