Newly planted young avocado tree

the_FishMasterMay 22, 2014

I purchased a 4 foot tall Lil' Cado avocado tree at the beginning of April and planted it in a large container (an Earthtainer, for those of you who know what that is). The tree came with a stake supporting the think trunk. During the past 7 weeks, the leaves remained green, yet they drooped. A lot of new shoots are growing out of the seed and existing branches, along with a ton of flowers. So besides the drooping leaves, the tree looks great. However, yesterday (about a month and 3 weeks from transplanting), I noticed that the ties on the trunk securing it to the stake seemed to be affecting and inhibiting the growth of the trunk. So I decided to clip the ties to allow the tree to grow freely. But as soon as I clipped the last tie, the entire trunk drooped down to the ground. I was amazed at how weak and flimsy the trunk was. I have another avocado tree that I grew from seed that is about the same height, and the trunk is strong with no supporting stake.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with the drooping leaves and weak trunk? I'm not sure if it is water or fertilizer or something else. Could it be that due to the shock of the transplanting, all of the leaves will drop and be replaced by new growth? The new growth (including the new small trunk growing out of the seed) seems strong.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

The weak trunk is because it was tightly staked. Helps the tree get taller faster than if not staked. Also allows pot tight spacing.

Drooping leaves come from several things, among them shortage of water in the original rootball.

Please post a picture.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 1:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fireduck(10a)

fish...the "Littlecado" and "Holiday" avocado trees are natural dwarfs. Their growth habit are really what is described as "sprawling". Unfortunately for you...the Holiday is considered a better avocado. My advice: continue to stake the tree. Make sure it is secured with stretchy gardening tape. Not overly tight...When growing anything in a container..."free draining" mix is very important. Size matters. Also, frequent low-dose liquid fertilizer is necessary.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
Shaping and pruning some BYOC trees
In January I planted two peaches and two pears, intending...
brittanyw
Restoring old and neglected apricot trees. Help!
We moved into a new home in the middle of last summer...
monibucky
First time tree planter, need pruning advice.
I know there some some people that say not to prune...
speedster1
Haskap or Honeyberry?
I am in zone 6 in southern Illinois, so I get extreme...
flowerchild59
WHO called glyphosate a "probable carcinogen"
More and more studies seem to be coming out against...
canadianplant
Sponsored Products
Louis Poulsen | Doo-Wop Pendant Light
$548.00 | YLighting
Crystal Luxury 4 Lights Stainless Acrylic Flush Mount
ParrotUncle
Foscarini | Supernova Pendant Light
YLighting
Side by Side Table
$89.99 | Dot & Bo
Ultra Shine Surface Lubricant and Oxidant - 2 oz.
Signature Hardware
Cowbelle Pendant by ilomio
$535.00 | Lumens
Red Cedar Square Patio Dining Set
Fifthroom.com
Remer by Nameeks Z30US Diverter Trim - REMER Z30US
$239.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™