Blueberry Newbie Question!

dolivoMay 14, 2012

I ordered and recently received a trio of blueberry bushes from an online nursery. The bushes arrived as about 3 bare branches approx 24 inches high give or take.

I dug up a nice spot for them and added a lot of peat moss as suggested by the instructions for planting, planted them and watered them well.

This was two days ago. I was just wondering about how long it takes for the bushes to start showing signs of life; leaves, ect? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

dolivo:

Generally anywhere from 1-4 weeks. This late in spring it shouldn't be too long. But it depends on just how dormant the plants are and how warm it is now in your area.

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 7:54PM
riverman1

If they don't have leaves by now my guess is they were in refrigeration so be patient with them. You can lightly scrape the bark of the bushes with your fingernail to see if the bushes are still alive........if you see green just under the bark they are alive. Be patient in the first year of growth. I have learned in the last couple years that blueberry plants often look a bit rough in the first year but then really take off in the second. Good luck.

RM

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 11:43PM
dolivo

Thanks, Riverman and Fruitnut!! :-)

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 11:52PM
More Discussions
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™