best persimmon cultivar for spreading shade tree

cousinfloydMay 16, 2013

I know native persimmons are generally more columnar than spreading in habit, at least in my region, but I'm wondering what cultivars would make relatively better shade trees. Which cultivars are relatively less inclined to just grow up and more inclined to spread out (without suffering too much breakage)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

E,
Most of 'em I see growing out in the open tend to have a more spreading 'orchard' tree habit of growth, while those growing in high-stem-density settings do tend to upright, almost a timber-type of growth habit - have some here that are now on the edge of the woods, after removal of 35-40 yr old planted pines that are tall, straight trees with no branches for the first 30 ft or so.

They do tend to 'self-prune'; as lower branches are shaded by the developing canopy, they die off and are shed.

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 10:15PM
lucky_p

'nother consideration - many grafted selections tend not to have the strong apical dominance present in most seedlings - they've already grown through their 'juvenile' phase, and graftwood taken from mature, bearing trees is less likely to produce an upright 'timber'-type tree.
Think about citrus grafted with 'old budline' scionwood - they tend to be a spreading 'orchard' type tree, as opposed to the upright (and thorny!) growth habit of seedlings.
Good for fruit production, but less desirable for cultivars selected for timber/veneer production - which may require more corrective/training pruning to foster that desirable 'clear bole' furniture/gunstock makers/woodcarvers prefer.

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 10:21PM
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

CF,

Cliff England has Claypool H-120 persimmon with roundish canopy. nuttrees.net

Tony

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 10:36AM
More Discussions
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™