Fuji Apple vs. Clementine tangerine

borgtreeMay 9, 2013

Does the Fuji Apple tree require more sun or does the Clementine tangerine? I have two locations to plant where one location receives full sun and the other spot is shaded by the house part of the day. Just planted my apple tree 2 weeks ago and it is in a full sun spot right now. I'm about to receive a Clementine tangerine tree I bought but only one of them can be in the full sun location. If you were me, which would you put in the full sun location?

Thank you for your time.ÃÂ

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flatwoods_farm(9A Riverview, F)

Citrus require full sun; the apple can do with less

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 8:32PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Second that. If you have to place one of the two is some shade, the apple will be the better choice. Citrus do not require full sun, but the apple will tolerate more shade, and the citrus will appreciate more sun.

Patty S.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 12:08AM
melikeeatplants

I don't know, it's like comparing apples and oranges...

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 12:42AM
insteng

"Citrus do not require full sun, but the apple will tolerate more shade, and the citrus will appreciate more sun."

My Orange and Tangerine trees are shaded from the morning sun but they have grown to be taller than the house now. Being shaded never seemed to hurt them at all and everyyear they are loaded. People ask me what I do to make them produce so much and I just tell them I ignore them and don't do anything to them.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 9:55AM
borgtree

Thank you so much for the responses - even the one about comparing apples and oranges.. very funny :-)

.. I'm going to replant the apple tree and give the tangerine the prime spot.. Thanks again!

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 10:06AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

That's correct, insteng. Citrus are amazingly adaptable, especially when grown in their ideal climates. I have a Rio Red grapefuit growing in the shade of a very large Pepper tree that is thriving, and produces incredibly sweet grapefruits. In fact, it is doing the best of all my citrus up in that area, and it receives the least amount of sun of about 9 citrus trees up there! Melikeeatplants, that's pretty funny :-) Had to be said.

Patty S.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 10:41AM
More Discussions
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™