Cheaper source for potassium bicarbonate for a fungicide

gonebananas_gwMay 28, 2014

Potassium bicarbonate, an innocuous and apparently natural ("organic") chemical (the closely related sodium bicarbonate is baking soda), is reputed to have fungicidal benefits as a spray and is approved and sold in at least one commercial product. Like almost all horticultural products in small quantities it costs an arm and a leg per ounce, "plus shipping and handling."

I want to make a trail spraying or two to test efficacy, before bothering to obtain more, and searched my normal sources for chemicals. It is available of course, but expensive, as a reagent ("real" buyers from scientific supply houses get very deep discounts by bidded contracts; only we 'little people" have to pay the full tab). Instead, the way to buy chemicals reasonably is to find sources of "technical grade" chemical used in manufacturing or larger-scale use (e.g., Epsom salts, magnesium sulfate, from the pharmacy or grocery store shelf). Unfortunately, potassium bicarbonate is not obtainable from The Chemistry Store (supplies soap-making craftsmen) where I get iron (II, i.e., ferrous) sulfate for a good price at a good-enough purity to spray a solution (horticultural copperas has too much debris in it) and get potassium hydroxide for making horticultural (insecticidal) soap.

So I keep my eyes open. Lo and behold, in a homebrewing shop I see 2-oz packets of food-grade potassium bicarbonate at a high price per ounce but still only half the per-ounce cost of the commercial fungicide and one-eighth the cost of the smallest container of the labeled fungicide.

If the trial works, I'll find a homebrewing (beer or wine) supply house that sells in larger quantities, presumably at still lower price.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

In areas with high-disease pressure, the results are minimal. That's the case where I live.

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 11:11PM
alfred

nuts.com has it.

Here is a link that might be useful: one source

Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 9:18PM
gonebananas_gw

results are minimal
========
My realistic fear for this hot wet climate as well.

nuts.com
========
Thanks! I likely would not have happened across that.

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 3:55PM
More Discussions
Apricots, Hunza and Manchurian blossom and flowering.
Hi, I live in Oslo, Norway, which is around a 5b or...
roots_feeding
Indoor Spring Start To Raspberries
Hi...under advisement from Cornell University, they...
Greenhorn2
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
what are signs that a cleft graft has failed and how soon to know?
Also, when grafting onto rootstock, how high up do...
tlbean2004
Strange world of paw paw's
Because the extended drought in my area my paw paw's...
persimmonbob
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™