Strawberry plasticulture for northern homeowners

ltiltonMay 31, 2012

OK, I don't really want to poison the soil with methyl bromide, and I don't have one of those plastic-laying machines, but I would like to try growing berries as an annual on some kind of artificial substance. What would be the best fungicide to treat the soil before laying it down? The target is botrytis.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

Um, question for you, how many are you planning to plant? Because, personally, unless your talking about more than a couple hundred plants, I would just consider planting in large tubs in sterile potting mix. Or even in bag culture. Then you wouldn't have to worry about soil-borne diseases.

Botrytis, though, isn't going to be stopped by any soil treatment, since its everywhere and spreads rapidly through the environment during periods of wet weather. The link below has some good articles about controlling botrytis.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search results for

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 8:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

About a hundred plants. More than I could conveniently do in containers. Isn't that one of the advantages of the plasticulture, to lay a barrier between the soil fungus and the leaves/flowers of the plants?

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 9:43PM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™