Sugar Baby Watermelon question

GeekellaMay 22, 2014

After a little teeny baby watermelon is pollinated and starts to get a bit bigger, how long does it usually take for the melon to develop into maturity? (this is the sugar baby variety)

Now, I know you're going to say things like "it depends on the weather conditions" and "depends on your zone/soil/ect"

so lets just say I live in zone 8, and for hypothetical reason's we'll say i get generally nice weather for the most part, always watering in times that there is no rain. We already fertilized the soil.

I ask because I have SO many little baby watermelons that have been pollinated and are slowly getting bigger.

So basically i'm just excited and would like a guesstimate. I know these things aren't something you can know for sure. Thanks for you help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I think my 25 pounders take about 55 days. I'm recording as we speak. Wrote down when I pollinated the first one and it took on May 11. That melon is now 8 inches by 4 inches and might be ripe by the 4th of July.

Yours should be about 45 days I'd guess. How big are they now? Are you sure they're set? Usually only about 10% set. The rest get about an inch long and quit growing.

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 8:49PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

I was going to say 6 weeks. That's about what mine were in the past, let's say I live in Z5, which would be a little cooler, so your's might be a bit faster.

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 9:12PM
don555(3a)

First off, let me start off by expressing a bit of outrage and jealousy about anyone who is fussing about watermelon fertilization on May 22.... I planted my "just-sprouted" watermeon seeds in the garden a day or two ago.

That said, I looked up my garden records from last year for "Yellow Doll" watermelon, which yields watermelons about the same size as Sugar Baby... I noted on August 12 that the melons were ping-pong ball size so that's when I assumed pollination was successsful, then the first ripe melon was picked Sept. 16, or 5 weeks later.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 2:49AM
Orchardman(7)

Mid July to Early August

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
Blueberries on a slope, how to grade soil?
Hey everyone, I was planting blueberries on a sloped...
towsonite
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
Window blinds, fence wire, electric engraver, drill, and pliers
What can make with window blinds, fence wire, electric...
2010champsbcs
KNNN espalier planting
Hi - I just planted some 1 year bare root apple trees....
Jamie Cartwright
Blueberry help!
What's going on with this blueberry bush? Is it going...
julia_scheidt
Sponsored Products
Shires Equestrian Baby Pads - Pack of 3 - 250L-WH
$34.99 | Hayneedle
Michigan Wolverines Game-Time Jar
$8.99 | zulily
Edushape Double Sided Baby Mat Multicolor - 926200
$47.99 | Hayneedle
Ambella Home Collection - Ocean Vista Cabinet - 02229-530-001
Great Furniture Deal
AICO Furniture - The Sovereign 16 Piece Dining Room Set -...
Great Furniture Deal
Lumisource Wave Bar In Walnut
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™