A story of the mystery of black knot on plums

alan haighMay 30, 2012

I was at an orchard today that I've been managing for almost 20 years. The owner inherited the property from his mother and was raised there some 70+ years ago before going out into the world and making big bucks and returning to take over the family estate.

When I first arrived, there were two plum trees completely overwhelmed with black-knot. I cut them down.

Over the last couple decades I've installed about 8 different varieties of plums- all BK susceptible including the ultimate black-knot magnet, Metheley.

The site is very moist (air-wise), with a large pond bordering one side of the orchard and some of the plums are blocked by trees to the east so it's almost noon when they're first struck by sun. It is also very sheltered from wind. Heavy dew is the norm.

All aspects would suggest a great deal of difficulty in managing black knot, but they are the cleanest plums I manage.

There are even native cherries as the first forest trees on the orchards edge, but strangely they have no black knot I can see either.

Every other site I manage without wide open, dawn to dusk sun has at least some black knot, although not in ratio to the fungus encouraging aspects of any given site.

I doubt there's a pathologist on the planet that could explain the whimsy in which BK runs through my world.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
twm2340(7a)

It showed up in one of my plum trees 3 years ago. A chill ran down my spine at the thought of all my plums getting this. I cut out the two branches, and have not seen it since. Lots of black cherry here. Only saw one old tree with it. I cut it down and burned the branches.
Tyrone

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 10:15PM
twm2340(7a)

It showed up in one of my plum trees 3 years ago. A chill ran down my spine at the thought of all my plums getting this. I cut out the two branches, and have not seen it since. Lots of black cherry here. Only saw one old tree with it. I cut it down and burned the branches.
Tyrone

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 10:16PM
twm2340(7a)

sorry about this posting 3 times. The page froze when I hit submit. I clicked it twice again. Is there a way to delete them?

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 10:19PM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Last year I had no nectarines
What have I done right with this tree to give me so...
mrronny
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™