Pineapple guava -- advice re fertilize, hand-pollinate?

otherchuckMay 30, 2012

Greetings,

I have two pineapple guavas I planted maybe ten years ago, and while they appear to be healthy (despite having their leaves occasionally grazed a bit by ground squirrels), neither has ever produced any fruit. One is about 7 feet tall, and the other is about 5 feet tall, and it SEEMS to me that they are growing in ideal conditions (sun, soil, climate, water, etc.). I live in the Santa Ynez Valley, north of Santa Barbara, CA, USA, which is zone 14 according to the Sunset paradigm.

I am not a big fertilizer at all by nature. I grow mostly native-style plants that really don't seem to need or want much fertilizer, so I am nervous about fertilizing the pineapple guavas. However, should I fertilize these two trees in hopes of boosting their growth? If so, how much, and what kind of fertilizer should I use? It is now the end of May...is that an acceptable season to fertilize these trees?

The two trees are about 50 yards away from each other, so I am thinking maybe it wouldn't hurt to hand pollinate these guys (I don't know if these are self-fruiting or not). How does one hand pollinate these kind of trees?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Chuck

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melikeeatplants

Video/discussion in the linked thread....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pineapple Guava Thread

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 9:26PM
larry_gene

That is awfully slow Feijoa growth for ten years. Mine would grow over two feet per year if I didn't pinch the new growth when at one foot. All this growth with only a couple of inches of composted manure added every few years.

You imply your plants bloom but do not mention how much.

When you tap on a blooming feijoa branch, pollen does fly off. 50 yards is too far for reliable wind pollination.

You do not even need a brush to hand-pollinate these. Just thoroughly molest the blooms by fingertips, touching all the flower parts (except the petals). 2 or 3 seconds per blossom is enough, just concentrate on the fully-open blooms that have yellow pollen on the stamen tips. Once the stamens start to fall off the flower, it is too late.

If your plants are seedlings, extra effort may be in vain. I've seen quite a few plants up here in Portland refuse to fruit.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 12:24AM
home_grower(SoCal Z9 S18)

I have two Pineapple Guava�s in my front yard. One planted three years ago and another 6 feet away that replaced a dead one last year. The three year old one is about 3 feet tall and just as wide. It has had plenty of fruit before and is loaded with flowers right now. The newer one has grown up to match the older one in size but has no flowers so far. I expect to see fruit growing on the older one pretty soon.

I toss a handful of general fertilizer at each one about three times each year. I have not attempted to pollinate either one. I�m about 30 miles North of LA.

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 4:12AM
steve_in_los_osos

I had a tree for over 10 years and it never gave but one or two fruits despite lots of blooms until I tried this last year (see link below).

Then it was loaded. Looks silly, but it seems to work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hand pollinate Feijoa

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 11:21AM
More Discussions
Haskap or Honeyberry?
I am in zone 6 in southern Illinois, so I get extreme...
flowerchild59
Plum Tree Experts!!! Is this gonna turn into a fruit?
I have some buds on my plum tree that look like this. Do...
tlbean2004
Confused about grape vine spraying
I'm getting overwhelmed trying to figure this out on...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
new orchard - a few questions
I'd like to start a small orchard on a recently purchased...
Fiona Kerr
Apple Pruning Advice
Can someone tell me if it would be a good idea to prune...
Dan Liptak
Sponsored Products
Design House 25W x 22D in. Cultured Marble Integral Sink Vanity Top - 551192
$205.95 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Hand-woven Chic Grey Shag Rug (6' x 9')
Overstock.com
Blue Up in the Air Wool Rug
$149.99 | zulily
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Safavieh Rugs Antiquity Black 2 ft. 3 in. x 4 ft.
$68.97 | Home Depot
Nadine Rug 9' x 13'
$2,599.00 | Horchow
New Floral Peshawar Oriental Rug 6' Square Hand Knotted Green Wool Rug H3835
BH Sun Inc
Uttermost 70012-6 Antalya Red Hand Knotted Wool 6 x 9 Area Rug
Littman Bros Lighting
Royal Chenille Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™